Dinesh D’Sousa wrote, Obama’s America: Unmaking the American Dream, published this year, 2012, which is a follow up to his movie documentary: 2016: Love Him, Hate Him, You Don’t Know Him, which is the second highest cash documentary ever done. The book is hard cover, little over 200 pages with over 20 more pages of documentation as end notes. D’Sousa says that he has changed his mind about several things since the movie came out so don’t think if you’ve seen the movie you have his latest version.
I don’t read many books on politics as they get on my nerves, but this year I’ve read several because this national election seems to be so important. This is an easy read and has a section with color pictures of Obama and his relatives. His basic thesis is that Obama is very intelligent, not a bungling politician, but one who knows what he wants. It is what he wants that concerns D’Sousa. After reading the book (every word), the summary on the back page gives the gist of the book:
Obama is not merely the presiding instrument of American decline, he is the architect of American decline. He wants America to be downsized. He wants Americans to consume less, and he would like to see our standard of living decline relative to that of other nations. He detests America’s traditional allies, like Britain and Israel, and seeks to weaken them; he is not very worried about radical Muslims acquiring a nuclear bomb or coming to power in countries like Tunisia and Egypt. He is quite willing to saddle future generations of Americans with crippling debt; he has spent trillions of dollars toward this end, and if he had been permitted, he would have spent trillions more. He has no inclination, and has no desire, to protect America’s position as number one in the world. . . . The strength of my thesis is that it is completely congruent with who Obama is and what he does. We don’t have to assume that he is always getting results opposite to what he intends; we simply have to see that he intends the results he is getting. He emphasized in his inauguration speech his goal of “remaking America”―and he is doing it, recognizing that in order to remake America he must first unmake America.
D’Sousa’s delves into Obama’s childhood, demonstrating that he was taught from his early years that America was evil and that it was a country that engaged in colonialism, forcing its will on other nations only to extract their wealth from them. Obama’s view of wealth is Marx’s or socialist, which means that if one person prospers another person must suffer. It is what I call the see-saw view: if one side goes up, the other side necessarily goes down. So when you hear Obama talking about those evil rich people who need to pay “their fair share,” you must understand that the only way one can become rich is allegedly by expoliting others. So to keep the rich from exploiting others, he promotes covetousness (transfer payments to others) by exploiting the rich. Thus it is not a matter of exploiting, but who is exploiting whom and for how much.
Rather, the more biblical view is that some are very productive and create jobs thereby for others. In other words, we have productive citizens in an age of liberal guilt manipulators. The biblical view is that of the tide coming in: those who are productive create jobs and lift all the boats. The see-saw view is that of the mob: if you don’t buy our protection, we’ll beat you up and take your money. With that view, violence indeeds creates a see-saw, for the mobster steals from the productive (one side goes up) and redistributes to the unproductive, himself (the other side goes down). The productive view would be a Steve Jobs (proverbial last name) who innovates and creates jobs, lifting all the “boats” who work for him or buy his stock. The theft view is transfer payments, taking from those who are productive, thereby taking money that could create jobs, and giving it to those who will not work, thereby taking away incentive to work. (We are not opposed to helping the sick, the helpless, but there is a better way to do so than by theft. It is voluntarism.)
Now let’s ask a tacky question: Is Obama really a nice guy who is just misguided? Is his heart in the right place? Recall from the book of Daniel that there are often―if not always―evil persons behind those in political power, referred to as evil angelic beings. I would venture that most of the time the leaders are unaware of such. Let us do a quick survey of the Ten Commandments to see how Obama measures up:
- First Commandment: no other gods, but Obama promotes any religion but Christianity and attacks Christians with vigor, such as mandating that we pay for abortions
- Second Commandment: worship nothing in creation (no carved images), but Obama promotes himself and big government as the answer to all problems (“Our father who are in Washington, give us this day or daily bread”)
- Third Commandment: don’t take God’s name in vain, but Obama says what he knows “God” (whoever that is, the generic god, you know the one) thinks. Attributing to God that which is false is attaching to His Name lies.
- Fourth Commandment: Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy, but Obama does not worship the One and only Triune God and will not even honor the Day of Prayer or have chapels.
- Fifth Commandment: honor father and mother, but Obama thinks children are owned by the state and should be brought up in its schools. The idea is to honor the state’s authority, not the God-given parental authority. Moreover, according to this commandment, the parents are “father and mother,” not “father and father” or “mother and mother.”
- Sixth Commandment: do not murder, but Obama believes and promotes the death of children, even voting in Congress to destroy the little babies at birth, sucking their brains out. With his view of abortion, there are fewer babies to honor parents. Moreover, what is one to think of the death of our ambassador and other Americans in Benghazi, Libya?
- Seventh Commandment: do not commit adultery, but Obama led the Democratic Party to adopt same gender “marriages.”
- Eighth Commandment: do not steal, but Obama promotes such with his transfer payments.
- Ninth Commandment: do not bear false witness, but look at the negative ads against Mitt Romney where he is called a liar, one who would kill the elderly, and other such things.
- Tenth Commandment: do not covet, but Obama’s whole economic platform is based on covetousness and envying the rich, and “covetousness is idolatry” (Col. 3:5).
Do you still think Obama is just a sincere man who is misguided? How can one be at war with all Ten Commandments by accident? He may not be consciously aware of this spiritual war, but nevertheless he is a willing party. His agenda demonstrates that there is indeed a conspiracy, one where he and other political leaders think they can overthrow the kingdom of the Son of God, but here is what the Triune God has said:
1 Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against the LORD and against His [Messiah], saying, 3 “Let us break Their bonds in pieces And cast away Their cords from us.” 4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; The Lord shall hold them in derision. (Psalm 2:1-4)
It is total, wicked rebellion to think you can win a war against God Almighty.
Finally, we Christians must be cautious that we do not identify the kingdom of God, the Church, with the politics and the power in Washington. I get the distinct idea from some that we stand or fall according to who is in the oval office. We already have One in the Oval Office, who rules the whole world, who is absolutely sovereign over everything that happens, including you and me and all politicians. They may convince themselves that they are in charge; we know better. He said: “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.” There is not one molecule in the entire universe that King Jesus does not have dominion over, both now and forever. He is the One we must fear; not some arrogant politician. Every knee will bow to Jesus, either now voluntarily, or at the Last Day involuntarily (Phil. 1:5-12). The initial choice is ours, the controlling choice is His. AMEN.
Postscript: Does D’Sousa have moral problems? He has resigned from the Christian college, Kings College, as the president. I generally don’t pay attention to rumors or charges against Christians, especially in this case. Obama would like nothing more than to discredit D’Sousa. But when World Magazine, which is a conservative and a well documented magazine, has stated that such problems exist, I at least listen. D’Sousa denies the charges, but he did resign. I know that one is considered innocent until proved guilty. I don’t think his innocence or guilt affects the content of the book, for it seems to be well researched, though I admit that the kind of research he does is not in my area. But if you take D’Sousa’s model that Obama thinks of the USA as a colonial bully that needs to be tamed, it seems to fit. D’Sousa is especially sensitive to attacking America because he immigrated here from India. He loves this country and does not want to see it downsized. I’m sure we agree.