© Rev. Dr. Curtis I. Crenshaw, Th.D.
Two years ago I sent out a pastoral letter saying, “Obama Won—So What?” The issues are the same; namely, we can’t claim a country for Christ just by politicians, especially those who think virtually nothing of the Triune God: “God is not in all his thoughts” (Psalm 10:4). The difference between Democrats and Republicans is only degree, not kind.
Now that the Republicans won by a landslide–and at every level, state, governor, districts for the House, and senators for the Senate–everyone is very optimistic about the future, BUT which Republican winners called on the nation to repent? Which ones made abortion and LGBT THE major issues? These are easily laid aside as “social issues”. The number one issue, Republicans stated, was jobs, money, filthy lucre, the love of it. Baby citizens and sexual self-destruction of the family can wait. Meanwhile, Obama keeps on destroying the nation, even willing to make a nuclear deal with Iran. Since he has been in office, he has been in self-destruct mode: disarming our nukes, scaling back the military, destroying our money so that we’re now a second rate credit risk with the world, and too many things to write.
Some say the mandate—if one can define it—was jobs. Others say it was to stop Obama. But what about righteousness?
Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people (Proverbs 13:34).
And who defines righteousness? The Triune God does in His law-word, especially the Ten Commandments. Consider these ungodly agendas:
- Obamacare, the destruction of our health system
- EPA holding us back from oil progress
- Public education is without the Triune God and producing illiterates
- Obama bailed out the banks, but did you get bailed out?
- Benghazi, the Americans who were allowed to die and the cover-up
- IRS scandal. In 1989 when our Presbyterian church was attacked by the IRS, we kept telling people and our fellow ministers that the IRS was making tyrannical efforts to attack conservative groups, especially churches, our church. No one believed us; our presbytery basically abandoned us, and no one stood with us. We were tried for 4 ½ months, four and five days a week, six to seven hours a day. We won everything: all counts on all defendants. Now people are beginning to wake up—if it is not too late—about a tyrannous agency of government that can steal your money from your bank accounts without a court order.
- It took me two years at VA to find out if I had osteopenia. I had a colonoscopy without medication except for a mild sedative that did nothing. I had a kidney stone and went to VA emergency for an x-ray. After waiting all day, they gave me a normal x-ray. I told them that would not work, but they said that is what is required. Now they would make an appointment for the more powerful x-ray, which would be in about six weeks. I said, “I’ll be dead by then from kidney stones.” In about two weeks, my VA primary care physician called to say the x-ray did not show a stone. I said disgustingly, “I told you a normal x-ray would not show it. I had a cat scan at a civilian doctor, and I had a passable stone, which is now gone!”
- The NSA allowed huge secrets to leak out, and the government is snooping on us, especially online.
- What is the truth of “Fast and Furious”?
- What about the key stone pipe line? I had two oil men in my former church who said in a few years the USA would be an exporter of oil if Obama and the EPA would leave things alone.
- Why does Obama and fellow conspirators want so many illegal aliens to come into the USA. I can assure you it is not out of goodness of their sweet little black hearts. It is for more votes.
- Obama is promoting LGBT strongly
- Obama is promoting abortion and Planned Parenthood with fiendish zeal
- So far, Obama has increased our debt to 18 trillion dollars. A close friend sent me these figures: all the gold every mined in the history of the world comes to 6 trillion dollars, and we’re in debt three times that! It is not mathematically possible to recover. He has stolen the purchasing power of our money. Now at almost 70 years old and no debt, I still have to work to bring in money as my retirement accounts are not large enough to sustain me. Since Obama has been in office, my accounts have shrunk about 12-15% in purchasing power. “Thou shalt not steal.”
But we must remember that the Republicans are not far behind. They have lost their zeal against killing the unborn. Standing up for the family against LGBT is too controversial. Saying “God bless you” is acceptable but saying “The Triune God bless you, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,” is unpardonable. It would blaspheme good atheists; offending God is acceptable. The new president in 2016 should lead the whole nation in repentance with public confession of sin and then attacking the ungodly sins of our nation. Who is our hope and our God, government, or King Jesus? Yet we must sing a new song:
Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth.” (Revelation 5:8-10)
His sovereignty rules now, whether we like it or not. Christians like it.
But don’t misunderstand me. I’m grateful to the Triune God for the new people going to Washington, many of whom are pro-life, pro-family, and fiscally conservative. Let us continue to pray for such people and may we Christians vote God’s righteousness, not our wants. AMEN.