(7 Nov 2012)
Obama wins a second term amid much deception, lies, and negative ads that were a fiendish exercise in bearing false witness. I’m not going to say much, but I would encourage you to see my review of a book that gives some detail about Obama and politics, click here.
As I preached recently, the kingdom of God is not synonymous with the one in the Oval Office or with which party controls Congress. The kingdom of God, or the Church (though not synonymous, for our purposes here it does not matter), does not stand or fall with an election. I fear that many Christians think more about who is elected than about the great King who by creation, incarnation, death on the cross, bodily resurrection, and Ascension now rules the world. Everyone without exception will bow and confess Jesus as Lord to the glory of God the Father (Phil. 2:5-11).
Augustine wrote The City of God to explain Christianity’s relationship with competing religions and philosophies, as well as its relationship with the Roman government, with which it was increasingly intertwined. St. Augustine contrasted the City of God with the city of man, and stated that ultimate victory is with the City of God. It was written soon after Rome was sacked by the Visigoths in 410. (Augustine died in A.D. 430.) This event left the Romans in a deep state of shock, and many saw it as punishment for abandoning their pagan gods for Catholic Christianity. It was in this atmosphere that Augustine set out to console Christians, writing that, even if the earthly rule of the Empire was imperiled, it was the City of God that would ultimately triumph. We will experience the same thing here in the USA if we are “sacked.”
In Genesis 3:15, the Lord God stated that the seed of the woman would crush the head of the serpent. Obama wants to build his socialist kingdom of man, the city of man. I can guarantee you that it will not work, for since Daniel’s vision of the rock that smashed the giant statue representing man’s world kingdoms, the Church has continued to grow in every nation under the earth. The four world kingdoms in Daniel’s time were Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek, and Roman, each one defeating the kingdom of man before it. It is interesting that each kingdom of man was political with some controlling person as the head. Where are those kingdoms? They are gone. What did God say about the kingdom that was the stone that smashed the other world kingdoms? Here is what God said through Daniel:
34 “You watched while a stone was cut out without hands, which struck the image on its feet of iron and clay, and broke them in pieces. 35 Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver, and the gold were crushed together, and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; the wind carried them away so that no trace of them was found. And the stone that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.”
44 “And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed; and the kingdom shall not be left to other people; it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand forever. 45 “Inasmuch as you saw that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold—the great God has made known to the king what will come to pass after this. The dream is certain, and its interpretation is sure.” (Daniel 2:34-35, 44-45).
And when was this kingdom erected? Daniel says “in the days of these kings,” referring to the kings of Rome or the Caesars. And how was it erected? By the Incarnation:
6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. (Isaiah 9:6-7)
Now the fulfillment of Isaiah 9:6-7:
30 Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.” (Luke 1:30-33).
His kingdom was established when the “Child was born,” when “the Son was given,” which Luke says was at the birth of Christ. Isaiah stated that “of the increase of His government and peace, there will be no end, from that time forward, even forever.” What time? The time Isaiah said: from the Incarnation.
Daniel proclaimed that during the time of Rome, the stone would smash the world kingdoms and fill the whole earth. Moreover, we, by the power of the gospel, we are part of that unconquerable army, for even we crush Satan under our feet (Rom. 16:20).
In our modern era, we’ve had many kingdoms, all political and all thinking they can establish a multi generational kingdom by politics by the means of death, tyranny, violence, and so on. Just think of Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong, and many other nation kingdoms in the Mid-East and around the world. Where are most of those kingdoms? They have disintegrated under the weight of their own sin. At one time, the USSR did not allow the Church (Russian Orthodox) to own property, millions of its citizens went to the gulag, among whom were Christians, St. Petersburg became Leningrad, and it seemed that Christianity would close shop there. A few days ago I received word from the number two man in Russian Orthodoxy:
- Of course we all know the USSR is no more, but there is only Russia
- This bishop says that 80% of the Russian people have come back to the church, and that some wait in long lines on Sunday just to get into the Church for worship
- And Leningrad is St. Petersburg again.
No, this supernatural kingdom works like leaven, quietly, morally, spreading the gospel, changing whole cultures that then in turn change the nation it is in. The weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but they are mighty in God for pulling down strongholds (2 Cor. 10:4-6; Eph. 6:10ff). There is only one religion that is every country in the world, and it is not Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam—it is Christianity.
When a nation turns against the Church in its borders, it is committing suicide, for Christ will rise up to defend His people, and He occupies the ultimate Oval Office, right now. It is the salt and light of the Church that preserves a culture, and when a nation removes the salt and light, it will spoil very quickly and embrace the darkness (John 3:19-21). Mark it down that any nation (or individual) that turns from the Triune God who is life has only one option—death: “All those who hate Me love death” (Prov. 8:36). If the Church in that nation—as in ours—needs to repent, King Jesus will bring persecution to purify it. Then it will march again. Recently, I saw an interview with Jim Daily, the new head of Focus on the Family. He had just returned from visiting with many pastors in China, some of whom escorted him to the airport. As he turned to leave, the Chinese pastors said, “We’ll be praying for American Christians.” Daily asked, “What will you pray for?” They said, “For your persecution, as you are too weak.”
As I listen to the conservative news tonight on Fox (7 Nov 2012) about losing the national election, there are two wrong responses. First, I’m listening to one news anchor on Fox state what Romney should have done in the last few days to win. It sounds silly to me, along the line of holding your mouth right or smiling at the right or wrong times, not going after Obama hard enough—it’s just silly.
Second, the Republicans are lamenting that they did not go after demographics better. The President had these voters: 55% of single women, 60% of the youth, 73% of the Latinos, and 93% of the black vote. In other words, both points only see cosmetics. They don’t see what is happening to our country.
Here is what I see, first some observations and then the real reasons:
- Ideology does not win, for the American people don’t care about anything but “what’s in it for me.”
- Our culture has changed in many ways; it is no longer white dominated, but when you add the minorities just mentioned above, we are a very mixed country.
- We are now bilingual, and I don’t know that this is all bad; many other countries are bi- or tri-lingual, but it is a factor to deal with if one wants to win a national election.
- Public education both for young children and in college has brainwashed at least two generations to think socialism, anti-Christian.
- We do not have a free national media, but they are controlled by the Democratic machine, Fox News and a few radio programs are the exceptions.
- The real reason in my humble for what is going on is that we are under God’s judgment, and by “we” I mean primarily the Church, bui it also involves the whole culture.
- I just heard Bernie Goldberg on Fox News state that if the Republicans want to win, they will have to address the demographics I just mentioned and also throw out such social issues as abortion and gays, and get a very charismatic person like Obama. But if they do this, we’ll have two Democratic parties, and the whole nation will embrace the horrible sins of GLBT agenda, abortion, and violations of all the other Ten Commandments.
- In addressing demographics, Republicans are regretting that they did not put Marco Rubio, Hispanic, on the ticket as Vice President. But this is an admission that the American people are not objective, that they vote subjectively. Republicans thought that was not true and that they would vote ideologically. The Democrats appealed to their greed and won. We are a sick nation, but a sicker Church.
The next few items are the real reasons and are abominations to the Triune God as seen from the Ten Commandments:
- Attacking Christianity, and worshipping the government as our provider (“Our father who are in Washington, give us this day our daily bread”)
- Worship of creation (ridding the culture of all Christian symbols except those that are ungodly)
- Taking God’s Name in vain (not just by slang but by attaching His Name to one’s agenda by saying “God bless you”)
- Keep the Sabbath Day (play and watch sports on Sunday without going to Church, in general waste time)
- Honor father and mother (but honor the state’s authority over parental authority)
- Do not murder (abortion, infanticide, euthanasia)
- Do not commit adultery (one can only be intimate with one’s heterosexual spouse)
- Do not steal (print trillions of dollars and thus take away the value of what we have)
- Do not bear false witness (make negative ads against your opponent)
- Do not covet (tax those mean rich people who create all those jobs)
The first four commandments are war against God, and the last six are war against man.
Let us continue to pray, evangelize, and move forward, and may the Church recall 2 Chronicles 7:14:
If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land (2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJ).
Notice that it is “MY people,” for revival and judgment begin with the household of God.